20 January, 2021
Ulli Theeyal Recipe | Baby Onion in Roasted Coconut spiced gravy ( Kerala Style)Posted in : Kerala Style on by : Simmi Iyer
Ulli Theeyal Kuzhambu is a spice mixture of roasted coconut, coriander seeds and red chilli. It’s part of Palakkad cuisine and common in Nanjil Nadu (Kanyakumari District). The baby onion add unique taste to it. Traditionally a kerala recipe – Its called Theeyal since we are frying the coconut to the dark brown. For onion Sambar, we fry bengal gram dal along with coriander seeds, red chili, fenugreek seeds and pepper and then grind it along with freshly grated coconut and follow the rest of the sambar process.
- 15-20 nos Shallots / Baby Onions peeled
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 Gooseberry Size Tamarind (or) 1 Tbsp Tamarind Paste
- 1.5 tsp Salt (adjust to your taste)
FOR THEEYAL MASALA
- 0.5 cup Grated Coconut 1 cup = 250 ml
- 8 nos Red Chili Adjust to your spice level
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tsp Whole Urad Dal
- 0.5 tsp Peppercorns
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil (coconut oil preferably)
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- few Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 10 mins and extract the juice and set it aside
ROASTING GRINDING INGREDIENTS
- Pour the oil in the pan and fry the red chillies, coriander seeds, urdhal, and pepper. Take this in a mixer. Add grated coconut to the pan and fry till it turns golden red color.
- Add roasted coconut to the mixer and Grind the above ingredients to a fine paste and keep it aside
TEMPERING & SAUTEING
- Pour the oil the in the pan and add mustard seeds once the oil is hot. When the mustard seeds begins to sputter, add curry leaves and then add the onions and fry till the onion changes it color
- Now add the tamarind extract and salt and let the mixture boils for sometime. Finally add the ground paste
- Stir well and let the theeyal boil in medium low flame for another 10 minutes. Remove theeyal off the flame.
- Serve this yummy Ulli Theeyal Kuzhambu with hot steaming rice along with any stir-fried vegetable.