22 January, 2021
Lebanese Bread PuddingPosted in : Sweet/Dessert on by : Simmi Iyer
The above recipe is a mouth watering Lebanese dessert, inspired by one of my Lebanese friend who shared this recipe recently with me
It is delectable and light dessert, that is eggless, flavored with Rose Water and Orange Blossom. It makes a perfect dessert that goes very well with Indian Cuisine or in fact the Lebanese food as well.
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tablespoons Orange Zest (Rind)
- 1 tablespoon Rose water
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 cup Water
- 500 ml Milk
- 400 grams Condensed Milk , (1 400 gram tin)
- 300 ml Fresh cream
- 2 tablespoons Rose water
- 2 tablespoons Orange Zest (Rind)
- 6 tablespoons Corn flour
- 30 Bread rusks , (enough to double line the dish you will be setting the dessert in)
- 1/4 cup Pistachios , chopped
Lebanese Bread Pudding
- To begin making the Recipe, place toasted bread rusks evenly in a square dish.
- Then make the syrup- mix sugar, water, lemon together and place over medium heat. Once its hot and the sugar has melted, mix the orange blossom and rose water into the syrup. Allow it to cool slightly.
- Now pour the warm syrup over the bread rusk so that it soaks it in. Layer another layer of the rusk and pour the syrup over the rusks until all of them get soaked it. Push the rusks around to settle itself well at the bottom and layer itself well.
- To make the custard for the pudding, combine together milk, cream, condensed milk and cornflour in a heavy bottomed saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Keep stirring the custard mixture until until thick and creamy; once the custard has thickened add rose water and orange blossom.
- Stir for a little more while and when the custard has reached a “THICK” pouring consistency. Allow the custard mixture to become lukewarm and then pour over the soaked bread rusks. The pudding is now ready except that it needs refrigeration.
- Once the pudding reaches room temperature, sprinkle the chopped pistachios over on the top of dessert. Cover the pudding with a cling wrap and place in the refrigerator to cool for a minimum of 4 hours.