Brinjal cooked in coriander paste tastes heavenly in this Andhra Style Vankaya (eggplant). Very easy to make, this curry goes well for a traditional Andhra lunch.
his is almost like a stir fry but includes the whole brinjals that are slit till their base. A paste of coriander leaves and red chilli powder is stuffed inside the small brinjals and cooked in a heavy bottomed pan.
- 15 Small Brinjal (Baingan / Eggplant)
- 1 cup Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , chopped
- 3 Green Chillies , chopped
- Salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
How to make Andhra Style Vankaya Kothimeera
- To begin making Andhra Style Vankaya Kothimeera, roughly chop coriander and chillies. Add very little water, salt and make into a fine paste in mixer grinder. Add salt and keep ready.
- Slit brinjals in such a way that you see an X at the base. Be careful not to slit open them completely. Immerse them in salt water for 5 minutes.
- Now, carefully stuff the coriander paste into the brinjals without breaking them.
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan, put the brinjals side by side.
- Cover the pan and cook covered on low heat until brinjals turn soft.
- Turn the brinjals gently using a fork and and a spoon. Do not use a ladle as it may break the brinjals.
- If there is any left over coriander paste, add it to the brinjals after they are about 90% cooked and mix well.