22 January, 2021
Stuffed Tedli ( Tindora)Posted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
A spicy and delicious preparation of ivy gourd or Tendli in an Andhra style. Andhra cuisine is classified under the most spiciest ones, yet this recipe is a mix of amazing flavors and textures.
It is spicy and crunchy making it a delectable side dish for the meal. Kovakkai/ Tendli also is known for its nutritional value. It is light on the stomach and makes one feel fuller as well. It also supports healthy blood sugar by acting like natural insulin in our body.
- 500 grams Tindora) , slit length wise
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida (hing) , a pinch
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons White Urad Dal (Split)
- 4 tablespoons Chana dal (Bengal Gram Dal)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander (Dhania) Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds (Til seeds)
- 4 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/4 cup Fresh coconut , grated
How to make Stuffed Ivy Gourds | Stuffed Tendli | Kovakkai
- To begin making the recipe, wash, drain and wipe the Ivy Gourds dry with a kitchen towel.
- Now make a long cross slit on each Tendli length wise, keeping the base and shape of each vegetable intact and keep aside.
- Next step is to make the Tendli for which we have to grind the fresh masala.
- Heat a pan over medium heat, add the chana dal and urad dal and roast until golden brown and crisp.
- Stir in the coriander seeds, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies until the coriander and sesame start popping and releasing a roasted aroma.
- Finally stir in the coconut and roast until it turns lightly golden. Turn off the heat and allow the masala to cool.
- Into the small jar of the mixer grinder add the roasted masala, along with a little salt and grind into a coarse powder.
- Transfer masala into a bowl and set aside.
- Now, fill the slit Tendli with the roasted masala and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan on medium heat; add the mustard seeds cumin seeds, and allow it to crackle. Add the asafoetida, curry leaves and red chillies and roast for a few seconds.
- Add the stuffed Tendli to the pan, stir in the same, turmeric powder, gently stir, add 1/4 cup of water and cover the pan. Turn the heat to low and cook until the Tendli is done.
- You can also alternatively, place the whole mixture into the pressure cooker with 2 tablespoons of water and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles and turn off the heat. Release the pressure immediately and then stir fry in the open until all the masala comes together.
- Once done, turn off the heat and transfer the dish to serving bowl and serve hot.