The Wheat Berry Salad With Cranberries & Carrots Recipe is a simple wholesome salad that is made from whole wheat kernels that are also known as wheat berries. Most often we are used to eating wheat in the form of flour or broken wheat, but this form of a salad with cooked wheat berries bring in a lot of fiber into our diets. The addition of orange, cranberries and herbs makes this salad outstanding and delicious.
- 1 Orange , peel and remove the flesh from membrane, juice reserved
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Thyme leaves , chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Rosemary
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinaigrette
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup Wheat Berries/ Whole Wheat
- 1 = Carrot (Gajjar) , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Cranberries , dried
- 1/8 cup Walnuts , or pecans
How to make Wheat Berry Salad With Cranberries & Carrots
- To begin making the Wheat Berry Salad With Cranberries & Carrots Recipe, we will first soak and cook the wheat berries until soft and firm.
- Soak the wheat berries for a couple of hours. Once soaked, drain the water out. Place the berries along with 1 cup of water and salt in a saucepan. Bring the wheat berries to a brisk boil.
- Once it comes to a brisk boil, cover the pan and cook until soft and all the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat. If you feel the berries are not yet cooked, add a little more water and simmer until soft.
- Once the wheat berries are cooked through, allow it to cool.
- Now to start making wheat berry salad, in a large bowl, combine the orange juice, thyme, rosemary, oil and vinegar. Whisk well to combine and season with required salt and pepper.
- Add wheat berries, carrot, cherries, orange segments and pecans to the dressing and toss to combine. Check the salt and seasonings and adjust to suit your taste.