29 January, 2021
Salmon and spring vegetable stew
Posted in : Veg/Non Veg on by : Simmi Iyer
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 500g new potatoes, halved if large
- 100ml dry white wine
- 250ml fish, veg or chicken stock (check it’s gluten free if needed)
- 100ml single cream
- 1 tsp d mustard
- 4 x 150g sustainable salmon fillets
- 150g fresh or frozen peas
For the persillade
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 30g fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- For the stew, heat the oil in a deep frying pan (one with lid) or a shallow saucepan, then gently fry the onion, leek and thyme with a pinch of salt and pepper over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the new potatoes, stirring well, then pour in the wine. Bring up to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until the wine has reduced.
- Stir in the stock, then bring back to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are just tender.
- Meanwhile, combine all the persillade ( parsley, lemon and garlic sauce or dressing that cuts through the rich creaminess of the fish stew and is drizzled on top to serve.) ingredients in a bowl, seasoning to taste. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Combine the cream and mustard, then stir into the pan. Arrange the salmon fillets in the pan, pressing them down gently between the vegetables. Cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Remove the lid, add the peas and cook, uncovered, for a final 2-3 minutes until the peas are heated through. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Divide the stew between shallow bowls, then spoon over a little of the persillade sauce.