a delicious combination of Bhindi with Achari flavors cooked in yogurt curry, makes for a excellent combination. The bhindi is sautéed till it is crispy and then tossed along with caramelized onions, freshly ground achari masala and then slowly cooked in thick yogurt.
Achar (pickle) spices tastes absolutely delicious and when paired with bhindi it creates a wonderful dish that you can eat it up with any Indian bread.
500 grams Bhindi (Lady Finger/Okra) , cut small
1 Onion , chopped
1 Tomato , chopped
1 inch Ginger , chopped
1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
1 cup Curd /Yogurt
1 tablespoon Gram flour (besan)
1 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf)
1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
1 teaspoon Kalonji (Onion Nigella Seeds)
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 teaspoon Ajwain (Carom seeds)
How to make Dahi Achari Bhindi Recipe
- To begin making the Dahi Achari Bhindi Recipe, we will first make the achari masala.
- To prepare the marinade for Achari masala, in a pan add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, kalonji seeds, carom seeds, fenugreek seeds and dry red chilies.
- Dry roast the spices and chilies over medium heat till fragrant and slightly browned. Turn off the heat. Transfer spices to the jar of mixer and grind into a coarse powder. Keep the achari powder aside.
- Wash and clean the Bhindi. Wipe the bhindi with a paper towel or a kitchen towel until bhindi is dry. This is done in order to ensure bhindi does not get mushy while cooking. Chop them into small pieces and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the chopped bhindi and sprinkle a little salt and saute till they become soft and charred on the outside.
- Take the Bhindi out and keep it separate. Into the same wok add a teaspoon of oil and add chopped onions and saute till raw smell goes off. Now add chopped ginger and fry well till golden.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt so that they can turn a little mushy.
- Now add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder and the achari masala. Saute until the tomatoes soften.
- Whisk curd and besan together. Add to the pan and cook until the curd is mixed well and it thickens.
- Add sautéed ladies finger and salt as per your taste and slow cook the bhindi on low flame with lid closed.
- Once the Dahi Achari Bhindi has absorbed all the flavor, turn off the heat and garnish with freshly chopped coriander.