South Indian gravies or curries mainly circle around the usage of coconut or coconut cream. it is widely used to make both spicy and creamy sauce based curry. typically it is served with choice of layered parotta, but can also be served with choice of rice. one such easy and simple creamy curry is white kurma known for its flavor.
FOR MASALA PASTE:
- ▢½ cup coconut, grated
- ▢1 tbsp roasted gram dal / putani
- ▢8 cashew / kaju
- ▢2 chilli
- ▢½ inch cinnamon
- ▢3 pods cardamom / elachi
- ▢1 tsp fennel / saunf
- ▢1 tbsp poppy seeds / khus khus
- ▢¼ cup water
- ▢2 tbsp oil
- ▢1 tsp cumin / jeera
- ▢1 bay leaf
- ▢½ onion, sliced
- ▢1 tsp ginger paste
- ▢1 carrot, chopped
- ▢1 potato / aloo, chopped
- ▢6 beans, chopped
- ▢4 tbsp peas / matar
- ▢1 tsp salt
- ▢¼ cup water
- ▢1 cup water
- ▢2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- ▢2 tbsp lemon juice
- firstly, in a small blender take ½ cup coconut, 1 tbsp putani and 8 cashews.
- also add 2 chilli, ½ inch cinnamon, 3 pods cardamom, 1 tsp fennel and 1 tbsp poppy seeds.
- blend to smooth paste adding ¼ cup water. keep aside.
- in a large kadai heat 2 tbsp oil and saute 1 tsp cumin, 1 bay leaf.
- also, saute ½ onion and 1 tsp ginger paste until it softens.
- further add 1 carrot, 1 potato, 6 beans and 4 tbsp peas.
- add 1 tsp salt and saute for 2 minutes.
- now add ¼ cup water, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- once the vegetables are almost cooked add in the prepared white masala paste.
- saute for 2 minutes until the raw flavors disappear.
- add in 1 cup water and mix adjusting consistency as required.
- cover and boil for 5 minutes making sure the flavors are well absorbed.
- also add 2 tbsp coriander, 2 tbsp lemon juice and mix well.
- finally, enjoy white kurma with chapati and idiyappam.