7 February, 2021
Neer Dosa-Andhra Style
Posted in : South Fields on by : Simmi Iyer
- Raw rice 1 1/2 cups (you can use Sona Masuri)
- Fresh coconut 2 tbsps, grated (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil to grease pan
Method for making Neer Dosa Recipe
- Wash and soak rice for at least 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the rice along with the grated coconut to a fine paste adding water as required. The batter has be like a flowing liquid (the consistency of water) and must be ground smooth. The batter when rubbed between your fingers should feel smooth and not coarse.
- Add salt to taste and mix well. To test the consistency of batter, the batter should not form a coating on the back of the spoon. If it does, add more water to the batter. It should appear like buttermilk consistency. There is no need to ferment the batter. You can use the batter immediately to prepare neer dosa.
- Grease an iron tawa and heat it on high flame. Do the sprinkle test. When you sprinkle a few drops of water on the hot pan, it should sizzle. Reduce flame and pour a ladle full of batter (a little more than 1/4 cup) from the sides of pan in a circular motion. Fill the center and holes if any with more batter.
- Place a lid over the pan and cook on medium high flame for approx a minute. The dosa will remain white and not brown. So do not overcook it. The sides will leave the pan and the upper lay will appear dry. At this point slowly lift the sides with a spatula, fold in half and again fold it in half to form a triangle.
- Remove from pan, place on a serving plate and serve the neer dosa with chutney of your choice, egg curry or chicken curry.