If I can say, is a kind of savory fudge made using gram flour and water (generally), this recipe, however, uses buttermilk. Pitod simply melts in the mouth, if made correctly… it is very soft and totally delicious.
Ingredients For Pitod
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 cups butter milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt or salt to taste
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp oil
- A big pinch asafoetida
Instructions for :Rajasthani Pitod Recipe
- This recipe makes approximately 2 cups pitod, enough to serve 4 person.
- In a mixing bowl add 1 cup gram flour (besan), salt to taste, ½ tsp red chili powder, 1 finely chopped green chili, ¼ tsp turmeric, and ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera). Also add in ¼ red chili flakes and chopped coriander leaves for nicer looking pitod.
- First of all, add ½ cup water and make a lump free mixture.
- Thereafter add 2 cups of butter milk (chaach) to get a runny and lump free mixture.
- Heat 1 tsp oil. Also add a big pinch of asafoetida (heeng).
- Pour the prepared mixture.
- Cook on medium flame, stirring continuously.
- Till the mixture becomes thick. It takes approximately 12 minutes.
- Pour it in a plate and let it set.
- Cut into desired size and shape.