Bhuna Gosht Mutton masala is a popular and exotic Indian recipe. In this dish the curry is so thick that it coats all the pieces of mutton. The mutton is cooked in its own juices till it gets a beautiful dark brown color. It is a time consuming dish but the taste of this dish makes all the effort worthwhile. Learn how to make mutton bhuna gosht masala.
- 500 gms Mutton pieces
- 2 medium Onion Finely Chopped
- 3 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 200 gms Thick Whisked Curd (Dahi)
- 1 tbsp Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 2 Green Chillies Slit Lengthwise
- 2 – 3 Bay Leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tblsp Coriander Powder
- 11/2 tblsp Garam Masla
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Shahi Jeera
- 1 tblsp Kasuri Methi Powder
- 200 gms Ghee / Oil
- Salt To Taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander Leaves Chopped
How to make Mutton Bhuna Gosht Masala :
- Clean the mutton and pat dry.
- In a bowl mix together mutton pieces, lemon juice and salt.
- Wait for 5 mins and then heat 1 tbsp of ghee / oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadai and pan fry the mutton pieces till they are slight tender and soft.
- Take them out and marinate them with whisked curd. Keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Now heat the remaining ghee in the same kadai and add the bay leaf, cumin seeds ad shai jeera seeds.
- When they begin to sputter add the chopped onions.
- Saute till the onions turn dark golden in color.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till all the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tomato puree and cook till the oil separates.
- Now add all the spice powders – Turmeric, Coriander, Black Pepper and salt.
- Reduce the flame and add the marinated mutton pieces and green chillies and saute further for 10 minutes till all the masala is evenly coated on the mutton pieces.
- Add 3/4 cup of warm water, cover and let the mutton simmer till it is fork ready and done.
- Keep stirring occasionally to check so that masala does not get burnt.
- Once done add the garam masala and dried kasuri methi powder and mix well.
- Take it out and garnish coriander leaves.
- Serve the mutton bhuna masala hot with Naan or Rumali Roti, green chutney and onion salad.