Sabudana kheer is an easy recipe which is preferred on the vrat days or fasting. The soft tender pearls cooked slowly in a creamy milk , flavored with the aromatic cardamon and topped with the nutritious nuts is a dessert to relish. The dish is easy to digest and provides instant energy, flavors and filling needed on a vrat day. One need not wait for any fasting day to relish this delicious pudding it can be prepared on any day as it is very easy to make and less time consuming .
- 1/2 cup Sabudana (Sago)
- 4 cups or 1 Litre Full Cream milk
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder (Elaichi Powder)
- 1 tbsp Soaked Almonds
How to Make sabudana ki kheer with milk :
- Wash and rinse the Sabudana in running water till the water runs clear of the starch. Soak them in just enough water to cover the pearls 1/2 inch above the surface. Do not use more water as the pearls can get very mushy. Keep aside for 3 – 4 hours. After 3 hours, drain the excess water and keep the pearls ready for cooking. Fluff them with a fork once or twice.
- In a heavy bottom kadai boil the milk.
- Once the milk is boiling, switch the flame to low and let the milk simmer away for about 5-10 mins., stirring occasionally in between.
- Then add the drained Sabudana.
- Lower the flame and cook on low flame till the Sabudana pearls become translucent. Occasionally stir the milk so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Cook on slow heat, keep stirring occasionally.
- Add cardamom powder. Finally add sugar and slivered almonds.
- Switch off the flame when the kheer gets thick and creamy. Do a taste test for the sugar, and if needed add more sugar as per your taste at this stage. Stir continuously after adding sugar so that the milk does not get burnt and stick to the bottom.
- Serve hot or chilled as you like. If you want to serve it cold, let the kheer cool at room temperature and then put it in the refrigerator for a few hours.