Not to be confused with deep fried onion bhaji, this recipe is vegan, gluten-free and low in calories. Made with aubergines and packed full of spices, this dish is the perfect go-to dinner for Meat Free Monday
- aubergines 2, cut into chunks
- groundnut oil
- onion 1, roughly chopped
- garlic 2 cloves, roughly chopped
- ginger a walnut-sized chunk, peeled and chopped
- cinnamon stick 1/2
- cardamon 4 pods, squashed
- cumin seeds 2 tsp
- green chillies 2, chopped
- ground turmeric 1 tsp
- ground coriander 1 tbsp
- ripe tomatoes 4, chopped
- tamarind paste 2 tbsp
- STEP 1. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan to medium. Toss the aubergine chunks with 2 tbsp oil and 1 tsp salt. Add to the pan and cook, turning until golden and soft. Turn the heat down if you need to stop the aubergine burning. When the aubergine has lost its sponginess and is really tender, scoop out.
- STEP 2. Put the onion, garlic and ginger in a small food processor and whizz, adding a splash
of water if you need to bring it together.
- STEP 3. Add another tbsp of oil to the pan. When hot, add the cinnamon, cardamom pods and cumin seeds and fry for a minute. Add the onion paste and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the chilli and the rest of the spices and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes with a splash of water then cover and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Add back the aubergine with the tamarind and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Serve with rice.