13 February, 2021
Brussels sprouts with kale, bacon and chestnuts
Posted in : Vegan / Gluten Free on by : Simmi Iyer
- young Brussels sprouts 250g, trimmed
- smoked bacon lardons 100g
- vegetable oil
- red wine vinegar 1 tbsp
- butter 25g
- young curly kale 200g, tough stalks discarded and leaves roughly shredded
- cooked chestnuts 100g, roughly broken (vacuum can or pack)
- STEP 1. Cook the sprouts in boiling water for 3-4 minutes until just tender. It is essential they do not overcook. Drain in a colander then cool rapidly under the cold tap and drain again. Cut them in half lengthwise.
- STEP 2. Put the lardons in a large, shallow frying pan with a tiny dribble of vegetable oil to get them started and cook over a medium heat until the fat runs and the bacon browns. De-glaze the lardons with a generous splash of red wine vinegar, making sure to stand away from the steam it will give off.
- STEP 3. Turn up the heat and throw in the sprouts with the butter allowing them to color quickly. Throw in the kale with any remaining water that clings to the leaves after draining, adding an occasional tablespoon or two more as it evaporates. Fry hard for 3-4 minutes until the kale softens. Keep the vegetables and lardons on the move, but if the kale burns a little it is no matter as this is tasty. Add the chestnuts for the last minute of cooking time with some sea salt and a heavy aerial bombardment of black pepper. Don’t overcook the vegetables and kill their vibrant color. Excellent served with duck and a cold glass of cider.