There is No shortcut method in making sarson ka saag. sorting the greens, washing them, chopping and then cooking them… Blending them and again cooking them is a time-intensive method.
And in today’s world of curry in a hurry, if you really want to savor the taste of an authentic sarson ka saag, then you do have to invest some time in preparing it.
The sarson ka saag recipe is very easy, it is just the preparation and the method that takes time. Usually, I clean the greens one day before and keep them in the fridge in an airtight containers. So half of the work is over. The next day then, it is easy to prepare the saag.
For Sarson Ka Saag
- 1 bunch mustard leaves (sarson)
- ½ bunch bathua leaves
- ½ bunch spinach leaves
- 1 cup chopped tender radish leaves (mooli ke patte)
- 2 to 3 inches white radish root
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves, chopped
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 7 to 8 garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 to 2 pinch asafoetida or ¼ teaspoon asafoetida powder (hing)
- 2 to 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoon maize flour
- salt as required
Tempering For 3 Servings
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoon oil
- 3 bowls of cooked saag
Making Sarson Ka Saag
- Firstly clean and chop all the greens. then wash the greens well.
- In a pressure cooker or pan add all the ingredients listed under saag except for maize flour.
- Cover the pressure cook and cook for 6-7 minutes or more.
- If cooking in a pan, then cover and let the greens cook till done. Do check occasionally.
- Pour the greens along with the stock and maize flour in a blender. blend till smooth.
- In another pan, pour the pureed greens.
- Simmer for a good 25-30 minutes.
Tempering For Sarson Ka Saag
- In another small pan, heat oil or ghee
- Add the chopped onions and fry them till light brown.
- Add the prepared saag. Stir and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Serve sarson ka saag hot with some chopped onions, whole green chilies and a dollop of butter on the saag with makki di roti