Kara chutney for idli, dosa, paniyaram or any tiffin is a tasty, spicy chutney made with sautéed onions and tomatoes
One of the most popular chutney for idli, dosa, Pongal, ragi dosa, Kanchipuram idli , rava dosa, masala dosa or any South Indian tiffin you can name. A very versatile, tasty onion and tomato based chutney where the flavors of both these vegetables shine through. Less is more for Kara chutney recipe. Minimal ingredients yet high on flavor.
- Onion 1, medium, peeled and sliced
- Tomatoes 2, large sized, sliced
- Red chilies 3, tear and de-seed
- Garlic 1, large clove
- Tamarind 1/2 tsp, thick paste
- Jaggery 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 1/4 tbsp
- For tempering:
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Black gram dal 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
Method for making Kara chutney for idli
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce flame, add the garlic and dried red chilies and saute till the garlic changes color (few seconds).
- In the same oil, add the onions saute till transparent, approx. 6-7 mins. Add the tomatoes and saute for 8 mins on low to medium flame. Turn off heat and cool.
- Blend the cooled ingredients along with salt, jaggery, and tamarind to a fine paste. Remove to a serving bowl.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add the curry leaves, and turn off heat.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and serve with idli or dosa.