Padavalanga Parippu Thoran
Here’s some basic vegetable bhaji for all the women out there, who is everyday thinking of what to make.
- ▢450 gms Padavalanga (measured before cleaning, cut into bite size pieces)
- ▢1/3 cup Toor dal
- ▢1/2 – 3/4 cup Grated coconut
- ▢1 Small / pearl onion (sliced)
- ▢1/2 tsp Chopped garlic
- ▢1-2 Green chilli (chopped)
- ▢1/8 tsp Cumin seeds
- ▢1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- ▢6-8 Small / pearl onion
- ▢2 Dry red chilli
- ▢1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- ▢Curry leaves
- ▢Coconut oil
- ▢Pressure cook cleaned dal with 1 cup water for 3-4 whistles on high flame. switch off the gas and let the pressure drop naturally. Open the cooker and drain the cooked dal. Keep it aside.
- ▢Combine coconut, 1 small onion, green chilli, cumin, garlic, and turmeric powder. Pulse it in the mixer for a few seconds with 1/2 tbsp water. It should be a coarse mixture.
- ▢Cook diced Padavalanga with 1/4 – 1/3 cup water and salt for 15 – 20 mins. Cover and cook till it’s done and water is dried completely.
- ▢Heat oil in a wide pan. Crackle mustard seeds. Add sliced small onion (6-8), dry red chilli and curry leaves. Fry for 2-3 mins.
- ▢Add coconut mixture and cook for 3-4 mins, till the raw smell goes.
- ▢Add cooked dal and Padavalanga. Gently combine everything. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins. Remove from heat and serve with rice.