Barnyard Millet Mushroom Biryani Recipe is a flavor one pot preparation made with barnyard millet which is popularly called as samvat, Kuthiraivali, Udalu and oodalu in other regional languages. It is considered to be a valuable ingredient during the season of fasting.
Millets are highly variable small seeded grasses that are cultivated as a crop, they are usually small in size and come in various color like white, brown, red and yellow. The barnyard millet have light brown color and is rich in Iron and Protein. So therefore very essential to be included into your everyday diet.
- 2 Barnyard Millet , soaked
- 300 grams Button mushrooms , quartered
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Onion , sliced
- 2 Tomatoes , chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic , chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 1 Star anise
- 2 Stone flower
- 2 Green Chilli , chopped
- 5 sprig Coriander (Dhania) Leaves
- 5 sprig Mint Leaves (Pudina)
How to make the recipe?
- To begin making the Barnyard Millet Mushroom Biryani, we will first grind the ingredients mentioned in the list to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat a kadai with oil, add all the whole spice first and leave it for 10 seconds for the aroma to be released.
- Add the curry leaves and allow it splutter, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic and saute them until it softens.
- Once the onions softens, add chopped tomatoes, little bit of salt so that the tomatoes will get cooked faster.
- When the tomatoes become mushy, add the ground green paste and add all the spice powders mentioned in the list.
- Once the masala start to bubble, you can add chopped mushroom and give it a toss. Add about ¼ cup of water and allow the mushroom to cook with the masalas.
- Later add the barnyard millet and 2 cups of water and check for salt. Stir well and cover it with the lid and cook in low heat for about 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, you can open the lid and mix the millet rice with the masala well and serve.