Kerala Cherupayar Curry Recipe (Green Moong and Yellow Moong Dal Recipe) is a comforting dal made from a blend of green mung bean and yellow mung bean lentil. The curry is made with simple flavors and the addition of coconut oil in the dal lifts the whole flavor of the dish. Mung Beans are a high source of fiber, protein and antioxidants. As it has the high nutrient intensity it will be really helpful for fighting diseases like diabetes and obesity.
- 1 cup Green Moong Dal (Whole)
- 1/2 cup Yellow Moong Dal (Split)
- 10 Pearl onions (Sambar Onions)
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt , to taste
- Coconut Oil , for cooking
- 1/2 cup Fresh coconut
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
- To begin making the Kerala Cherupayar Curry Recipe, soak the green mung bean in water for at least 2 hours.
- Pressure cook the green mung bean with water for about 4 whistle till it is just cooked. Once the pressure has released naturally, take them out and pressure cook the yellow moong dal now by adding some water, turmeric powder and pressure cook for 4 whistle.
- Wait for the pressure to release naturally and mash the dal to a smooth paste.
- Heat a kadai with oil, add mustard seeds and allow it splutter for few seconds and add curry leaves and be careful as it will splutter quickly.
- Add the whole shallots and saute until they soften. Add mashed yellow moong dal along with cooked green moong dal and mix well. Cook in simmer.
- Meanwhile grind the coconut, green chilli, cumin seeds in a mixer and grind it into a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Add this ground paste into the boiling dal, adjust your salt levels and boil for another 10 minutes and serve hot.