4 March, 2021
Posted in : Pasta on by : Simmi Iyer
- ▢1 heaped cup penne pasta
- ▢4 cups water
- ▢1 teaspoon salt or add as required
For Making Alfredo Pasta
- ▢1 tablespoon butter
- ▢½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ▢⅓ cup finely chopped carrots or 1 medium carrot
- ▢⅓ cup finely chopped potatoes or 1 medium potato
- ▢¼ teaspoon salt
- ▢½ to ⅔ cup water
- ▢⅓ cup finely chopped red bell pepper (capsicum) or 1 small to medium bell pepper
- ▢½ cup low fat cream (20% to 25% fat) or half and half or light cream
- ▢¼ cup cheddar cheese
- ▢2 tablespoons vegetarian parmesan cheese
- ▢1 teaspoon dry parsley
- ▢black pepper powder as required
- ▢salt as per taste
- Heat 4 cups water in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt or add as required.
- Add 1 heaped cup of penne pasta and give a stir with a fork. Begin to cook pasta on medium to high flame.
- Cook pasta till they are al dente – meaning they should have a slight bite to them. Drain all the water and keep cooked pasta aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and let it melt.
- Keep flame to low or medium-low and then add ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic.
- Sauté for some seconds till the raw aroma of garlic goes away. No need to brown the garlic.
- Add ⅓ cup finely chopped carrots and ⅓ cup finely chopped potatoes. Do finely chop veggies so that they cook fast. You can add your choice of finely chopped veggies. mix well.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt. Add less salt as cheese already has salt. Remaining salt can be added later when cheese is added. mix again.
- Add ½ to ⅔ cup water or as required. stir and mix again.
- Cover the pan with lid and simmer the veggie mixture on medium-low to medium flame till the potatoes are almost cooked. In between do check and if the water dries up, you can always add some more water.
- Simmer till the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Then add ⅓ cup finely chopped red bell pepper (capsicum). You can even use yellow bell pepper or a mix of all three bell pepper (green, yellow and red).
- Stir and mix well. Begin to sauté bell pepper on a medium-low flame. sauté for 5 to 6 minutes.
Making Alfredo Pasta
- Then add the cooked pasta. Mix well. Keep the flame to a low.
- Add ½ cup low fat cream (20% to 25% fat). stir and mix.
- Switch off flame and add ¼ cup cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons vegetarian parmesan cheese. mix again well.
- Lastly add 1 teaspoon dry parsley and black pepper as required. Also add some salt as per taste if required. You can also use fresh chopped parsley.
- Mix and serve alfredo pasta. If after adding cream and cheese, if pasta looks dry then add a few tablespoons of milk or water. Mix again and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve alfredo pasta garnished with some dried or fresh parsley and some grated parmesan cheese.