I’m a fan of Pineapple based desserts, so I tried to add this to it. This is a good old homely dessert. It makes you feel all warm and cozy and happy. That’s the kind of dessert I love during this time of the year as my hubby and daughter are huge sweet eaters or rather say have sweet tooth’s 🙂
I hope you get to try this and like it too.
- ▢10 slices Bread (I used regular white bread)
- ▢3-4 tbsp Butter
- ▢4 Eggs
- ▢3 Cups Milk (I used full fat)
- ▢1.5 tsp Vanilla extract
- ▢3/4 cup Sugar
- ▢1/4 tsp Grated nutmeg (optional)
- ▢8 Pineapple rings (I used canned (refer notes)
- ▢1 tbsp Rum (optional)
- ▢For Caramel
- ▢1/2 cup Sugar (divided)
- ▢Preheat oven to 180 C, 10 mins before baking.
- ▢Take two 7 inch cake tins. Caramelize 1/4 cup of sugar (in each tin) with 1-2 tbsp water. Let it cool down. Divide the pineapple rings between the two tins.
- ▢Spread butter on one side of the bread (refer notes). Cut the buttered bread slices into bite size pieces.
- ▢Beat together eggs, milk, sugar (3/4 cup), vanilla extract and nutmeg (if using).
- ▢Add Rum to this. Pour this over the bread cubes and let it soak for 15 – 20 mins.
- ▢Divide the soaked bread between the two tins. Place baking tins into large baking pan. Pour hot water into the baking pan (being careful not to get any in baking tins) and fill water level to about halfway up the sides of the baking tins. Bake in preheated oven 35 – 40 minutes, until set but centers still jiggle slightly (bake time will vary based on the size of the tins used). Cool at room temperature and then transfer to the refrigerator to chill 3 hours (refer notes)
I didn’t remove the crusts from the bread. You can remove it, if you wish.