5 March, 2021
Vanpayar Thoran (Red Cowpeas Coconut Stir Fry)
Thoran (Stir fry with coconut) is something that I make very often. I’m sure it’s a staple in most Kerala homes. Can you imagine a Kerala lunch without thoran? I think it’s kinda blasphemous thing to do, a kerala lunch without thoran 😉 Its very light on stomach, oil free and you can add less salt too if you are health conscious. Plus this is high in proteins
- ▢1 cup Vanpayar (Red Cowpeas)
- ▢1 cup Grated coconut
- ▢6 – 8 sliced Small / pearl onion
- ▢1 tsp Chopped garlic
- ▢1/4 tsp Whole black pepper
- ▢1/4 tsp Fennel seeds
- ▢2 Dry red chilli
- ▢1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- ▢1/2 – 1 tsp Chilli powder
- ▢Curry leaves
- ▢1 – 2 tbsp Coconut oil
- ▢Rinse the vanpayar under running water a few times. Pressure cook vanpayar with 3 cups water for 8 – 10 whistles on full flame. Switch off the gas and let the pressure drops. Open the cooker and strain the cooked vanpayar. Keep aside 1/4 cup of cooking water.
- ▢Crush together sliced small onions, chopped garlic, black pepper, fennel seeds and dry red chilli.
- ▢Add turmeric and chilli powder to grated coconut. Mix well using your finger tips
- ▢Heat oil in a wide pan. Add crushed ingredients, curry leaves and cook till it browns and raw smell goes, around 4 – 5 mins.
- ▢Add coconut mixture and mix well. Cook for 3-4 mins.
- ▢Add cooked Vanpayar and salt. Mix well. Add reserved cooking water (refer notes) and cover and cook for 6 – 8 mins. Remove from fire.
I dont soak the Vanpayar, hence longer cooking time. If you soak it, adjust the cooking time accordingly. I like a slightly mashed up texture for this thoran, so I add the cooking water. You can add or skip the cooking water depending on how you like the texture of payar.