a popular north Indian or Punjabi curry recipe made with kidney beans and Indian spices. the combination of rajma and chawal which is also known as rajma chawal is the staple food of many north Indians. it forms a semi-thick gravy which can also be served with jeera rice or even which choice of Indian breads like roti or chapati.
For pressure cooking:
- ▢1 cup rajma
- ▢1 bay leaf
- ▢1 black cardamom
- ▢1 tsp salt
- ▢4 cup water
- ▢1 tbsp ghee
- ▢1 tsp cumin / jeera
- ▢1 inch cinnamon
- ▢5 cloves
- ▢1 onion (finely chopped)
- ▢1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ▢1 chilli (slit)
- ▢2 cup tomato pulp
- ▢¼ tsp turmeric
- ▢1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ▢1 tsp coriander powder
- ▢½ tsp cumin powder
- ▢½ tsp amchur / dry mango powder
- ▢½ tsp garam masala
- ▢½ tsp salt
- ▢1 tsp kasuri methi (crushed)
- ▢2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- In a large kadai heat 1 tbsp ghee and saute 1 tsp cumin, 1 inch cinnamon and 5 cloves.
- add in 1 onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1 chilli and saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- now add 2 cup tomato pulp.
- cover and cook for 10 minutes, or until the oil is separated.
- further keeping the flame on low add ¼ tsp turmeric, 1 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp coriander powder, ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp amchur, ½ tsp garam masala and ½ tsp salt.
- saute until the spices turn aromatic.
- add in cooked rajma and mix well.
- cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until the curry thickens.
- now add 1 tsp kasuri methi, 2 tbsp coriander and mix well.
- finally, enjoy rajma with hot jeera rice.