12 March, 2021
Crispy, fluffy and delicious vada that goes very well with coconut chutney or sambar. These urad dal vada are also known as Garelu in Andhra, Uzhunnu Vada in Kerala and Medhu Vadai in Tamil Nadu.
These doughnuts shaped fritters are made with black gram, herbs, coconut and spices. Even though the main ingredient is urad dal (black gram) but the herbs and spices can vary. You can also add vegetables like onions or grated carrots or grated beetroot.
- ▢2 cups urad dal (husked & split black gram)
- ▢1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ▢1 teaspoon black peppercorns, whole or crushed (optional)
- ▢1 or 2 sprig curry leaves, chopped
- ▢1 medium onion, finely chopped (optional)
- ▢1 or 2 green chilies, chopped
- ▢1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- ▢⅓ cup chopped coconut pieces, optional
- ▢few sprigs of coriander leaves, chopped (optional)
- ▢salt to taste
- ▢oil for deep frying
- ▢some water if needed to grind the batter
Making Medu Vada Batter
- Soak the urad dal for 4 hours or overnight.
- Grind the soaked dal to a smooth batter with little water if required.
- If the batter becomes watery, then the instant relief would be to add some semolina or urad dal flour to it. Otherwise also you could add some semolina to the batter.
- Add the spices, herbs, onions and salt. Mix well.
- Take a bowl of water. Apply some water from the bowl on both your hands. take some batter in your right hand from the bowl. Give it a round shape.
- With your thumb make a hole in the center. You can also use banana leaves or zip lock bags to give the medu vada its doughnut shape.
Making Medu Vada
- In a kadai heat oil. Keep the flame to medium.
- Once the oil becomes hot, slid the vada into the hot oil.
- Once the vada is slightly golden then gently turn over with a slotted spoon and continue to fry.
- Fry them till crisp and golden. The oil should be not very hot, but medium hot. You want the vadas to be cooked from inside. Very hot oil will quickly brown the vadas from outside but they will remain uncooked from inside. Less hot oil will make the medu vada to absorb too much oil. Even if the batter is thin then also the medu vadas will absorb too much oil.
- Fry all the medu vada this way till they become evenly browned and crisp.
- Drain them on kitchen tissue to remove excess oil.
- Serve the medu vadai, hot or warm with sambar and coconut chutney.