12 March, 2021
Neer Moru ( Spiced Buttermilk)
Neer moru used to be a regular at my place during the summers. Sharing my mom’s recipe which is even today one of the preferred summer drinks with my folks.
There are many variations in preparing neer moru. we usually blend everything in a blender. But you can also use a wooden churner and churn the curd and then add the herbs and spices. Green chilies are added in neer mor to give some heat and spiciness in the drink. You can skip green chili and add some black pepper. Some roasted cumin powder can also be added. I prefer to temper, but you can skip tempering.
Main Ingredients For Neer Moru
- ▢1 cup (dahi or yogurt) – fresh or sour
- ▢1 cup water or add as required
- ▢1 teaspoon roughly chopped ginger (adrak)
- ▢1 green chili (hari mirch)
- ▢6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ▢2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- ▢salt as required
For Tempering Neer Moru
- ▢1 teaspoon oil
- ▢¼ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- ▢1 small pinch asafoetida (hing)
Blending Curd For Neer Moru
- In a blender jar – take 1 cup curd, chopped ginger, green chilies, curry leaves and salt as required.
- Add 1 cup water. Blend very well. Some butter floating on top is fine and tastes good.
- Pour the spiced buttermilk in a bowl or pan. Then add 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves. Mix and keep aside.
Tempering Neer Moru
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan.
- When the oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Once they crackle, then add a pinch of asafoetida (hing). Mix and then quickly switch off the flame.
- Pour the tempering mixture in the spiced buttermilk. Mix well.
- You can serve buttermilk immediately or chill it and then serve later. Some ice cubes can also be added if serving immediately.