Skip to content
For Cooking Rice
- ▢1 cup rice
- ▢1.75 to 2 cups water or add as required
- ▢½ teaspoon salt or add as required
For Peanut Powder
- ▢½ cup peanuts
- ▢1 tablespoon chana dal (split and husked bengal gram)
- ▢1 tablespoon urad dal (split and husked black gram)
- ▢3 dry red chilies – broken and seeds removed (can use byadagi or kashmiri red chilies)
- ▢3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- ▢¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ▢1 tablespoon white sesame seeds – optional
For Tempering Peanut Rice
- ▢1 tablespoon sesame oil ( or oil of your choice)
- ▢½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ▢8 to 10 curry leaves
- ▢1 pinch asafoetida
- ▢salt as required, to be added later
- Rinse 1 cup rice couple of times in water and then soak in enough water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Later drain all the water and add the rice in a pressure cooker. Also add ½ teaspoon salt or add as required.
- Add 1.75 to 2 cups water or add as required for regular white rice.
- pressure cook the rice for 2 whistles on medium flame. When the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid.
- Take the rice in a large bowl or plate and let the rice grains cool down completely. If there are lumps in the rice, then break the lumps.
Making Peanut Rice
- Heat a small pan. Keep the flame to a medium-low. Add ½ cup peanuts.
- Stirring often begin to roast the peanuts.
- Roast till the peanuts become crunchy and crisp. You will see some blisters and black spots on the peanuts.
- Remove the roasted peanuts in a plate and keep aside.
- In the same pan, then add 1 tablespoon chana dal.
- Stirring continuously roast chana dal on a low flame till they change color and become golden. They will also become aromatic. remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan add 1 tablespoon urad dal.
- Stirring continuously roast urad dal on a low flame till the lentils become golden and aromatic.
- Keeping the flame to a low, add 3 dry red chilies and 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut.
- Mix and continue to roast stirring continuously.
- Roast coconut till it is light golden.
- Now switch off flame and add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds. Sesame seeds can be skipped.
- Mix well. Keep this mixture in the pan till it cools down.
- Take the above spices and coconut mixture in a small grinder jar. Also add roasted chana dal.
- Grind in small seconds to a coarse mixture. You can even use pulse option of the mixer-grinder and pulse at intervals of 3 to 4 seconds.
- Then add the roasted peanuts.
- Using the pulse option for some seconds, grind to a semi fine powder. Do not grind too much as then peanuts will release their oil.
- Add the ground peanut powder to the cooked rice. add more salt as per taste and mix very well.
Making Tempering For Peanut Rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a small pan. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
- Let them crackle.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, then add 8 to 10 curry leaves and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing). Switch off the flame and stir.
- Add all the tempered ingredients in the peanut rice mixture. mix again.
- Serve peanut rice as a main course or as a side dish.