Sura Puttu Recipe. Fish Puttu – stir fried Sura fish(shark fish) with veggies and spices. Steamed Sura fish shredded and made into a stir-fry. A simple and easy recipe
- 250 grams sura fish or any flaky fish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1/2 inch piece ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt the fish pieces for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Steam the fish for 10 minutes on a medium flame. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Flake the fish with a fork and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add in the urad dal and mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds crackle. Add in the curry leaves, crushed ginger and garlic mixture, chopped green chillies. Saute for a minute.
- Add in the chopped onions and saute for 4-5 minutes on a medium flame till the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Add in the turmeric powder and pepper powder. Saute for a minute.
- Now add in the fish flakes and mix well to combine. Let the fish slowly heat up in the pan so the spices adhere better. Check for seasoning. If salt is required, add a little at this stage. Remember that we already salted the fish while steaming. So go easy on the salt.
- Sura puttu is ready. Serve with rice and curry.