Nei Appam is a one of the common sweet made for the Thirukarthigai festival. The appam dough is made using rice flour and jaggery mix which is further cooked on the ghee. Let’s learn how to make Nei appam
- 1 cup Raw Rice 1 cup = 250 ml
- 1 cup Jaggery grated
- 2 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 2 nos Banana small size
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 pinch Baking Soda optional
- Rinse the rice twice and soak the raw rice in water for an hour. After 1 hour, drain the water and add it to the mixer
- Grind it in mixer to a fine paste without adding water. Now add grated coconut, banana, cardamom powder to the mixer
- Grind it to a fine paste. Finally add jaggery and give a pulse or two. If you grind it more, the jaggery will dilute the appam batter. Now our appam batter is ready.
- Now a days we have Non stick Appam pan which makes our job easier. Keep the nonstick appam pan in the flame and add little ghee to each kuzhi (hole). When the pan is hot, take a small ladle and fill 3/4th of each hole with the batter.
- Let the Appam cook for a while and then when it turns golden brown color, remove the appam from the oil, and place it in a paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat the above steps for the rest of the flour
- The yummy Appam is ready for serving