- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- ½ yellow onion, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very cold water, or as needed
- oil, or as needed
- Step 1. Stir chicken, onion, garlic, fine salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper together in a bowl until chicken is coated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 4 hours to overnight.
- Step 2. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 340 degrees F (171 degrees C).
- Step 3. Whisk cornstarch, flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a large bowl. Gradually whisk ice water into flour in until mixture resembles a smooth pancake batter. Transfer chicken to batter and stir to coat chicken completely.
- Step 4. Working in batches, cook chicken in preheated oil for 4 minutes. Transfer cooked chicken to a cooling rack.
- Step 5. Increase oil temperature in the deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Step 6. Working in batches, cook chicken again in hot oil until golden brown and crispy on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to drain.