Chana Usal ( Maharashtrian Style)
One of the best Gudi Padwa recipes, Chana Usal is enjoyed by all. A Gudi Padwa special food, it uses Koli Masala for spicy, sharp taste.
- Chana – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Fresh Coconut – ½ tsp, grated
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Malvani Masala – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Curry Leaves – 4 to 5
- Salt – As required
- Soak dry chana in enough water for at least 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
- The next day, cook the soaked chana in a pressure cooker till they are completely cooked.
- Now, heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add sliced onion and fry till it turns translucent.
- Add coriander seeds and saute. Later, add grated coconut till it turns golden.
- Turn the heat off. When the mixture is cooled down, grind it to a smooth paste using a grinder.
- Heat the remaining oil and add curry leaves, chopped onion and fry till it turns translucent. Then add the ginger-garlic paste, coconut mixture and chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute.
- Add malvani masala, cooked chana to the mix and saute it.
- Now, let it simmer for another 10 minutes, keeping the lid closed.
- Once done, serve the Gudi Padwa special recipe, Chana Usal with chapati or steamed rice.