Adai – South Indian Style Dosai
My mom used to make so many varieties of Adai, she had different combos of lentils and prepared it so well with some nice coconut chutneys. This has recipe she would make for us either for morning breakfast or evening snacks. Nevertheless we enjoyed every time she made
- 1 cup Raw rice
- 1 cup Idli rice/ parboiled rice
- ½ cup Chana dal
- ¼ cup Toor dal
- ⅛ cup Urad dal
- ⅛ cup Moong dal
- 1 cup Small onions/shallots chopped
- 4 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped optional
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 15 Red chillies
- Salt to taste
- Soak rice and dal separately for 3 hrs minimum. First grind the red chillies with salt, asafoetida and then add rice.
- Grind it to a coarse paste (like rava). Add dal. Use the pulse,inch or juice option to grind this dals coarsely. Make sure to wipe the sides and lids for even grinding.
- This should be more coarse in texture as shown in the picture. Mix both the ground items well and set aside. You can keep upto 3-4 hours, or even make immediately. But standing time yields better result.
- Just before making adai, add the onions, coriander, curry leaves and mix well. The batter should be thicker than our idly dosa batter. So adjust water as needed.
- Heat the tawa and spread little oil and spread one laddle full of batter as thick adais,make a small hole in the middle and again pour little oil around. Let it get cooked for sometime.Turn over the adai and cook the other side too till golden brown. (you can cook covered with a lid, before flipping )