11 May, 2021
Smoked Tandoori Paneer Sandwich
Posted in : Snacks/Breakfast on by : Simmi Iyer
This Tandoori Paneer Sandwich has a spicy paneer filling with cilantro chutney, sriracha mayonnaise & cheese! It’s spicy, cheesy and has a infused smoky flavor through charcoal. It makes the perfect brunch for the weekend.
- ▢ paneer 226 grams, cut into 1.5-2 inch pieces
- ▢1/4 cup plain yogurt make sure it’s thick yogurt
- ▢1 teaspoon mustard oil
- ▢2 teaspoons tandoori masala
- ▢1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder not hot, used mainly for color
- ▢1/4 teaspoon red chili powder or to taste
- ▢1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ▢1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- ▢1 medium green pepper thinly sliced
- ▢1/2 cup cilantro chutney
- ▢1/2 cup mayonnaise
- ▢8 bread slices or rustic bread for best results
- ▢10-12 cheese slices
- ▢butter to toast the sandwich
- In a large bowl or pan take some thick yogurt. To that add mustard oil, tandoori masala, kashmiri red chili powder, red chili powder and salt. Use a wire whisk to mix it all together
- Then add the paneer cubes (make sure to add paneer to hot water for 20 minutes before using in the recipe), sliced onion and green pepper. Using your hands, toss it all together until the paneer and veggies are well coated with the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat up a grill pan on medium heat and spray it with oil. Place marinated paneer, onion and peppers on it. Cook until the paneer is lightly browned and has grill marks on it, turn the paneer pieces and veggies once or twice in between the cooking process. Remove into a large bowl.
- Place a smaller bowl in the center of the large bowl. Using a pair of tongs heat a charcoal until it’s red hot. Then carefully place it in the smaller steel bowl. Drizzle ghee on top of the hot charcoal.
- You will see fumes coming out, immediately cover the bowl tightly with a lid. Let it remain like that for 3 to 4 minutes for the paneer and veggies to get infused with that smoky flavor. Then remove the lid and set it aside. The longer you keep the lid on, the smokier the filling will get. I do not recommend going over 5 minutes.
- Now take the 2 slices of bread. Apply cilantro chutney on one slice and the sriracha mayonnaise on the other one. Place a cheese slice on one of the slices. I used 1 and half Amul cheese slice to cover the entire slice of bread that I was using. then place the tandoori paneer, onion and peppers on top of the cheese slice.
- Now, place another cheese slice on top of the paneer mixture. Again I used 1 and half Amul cheese slices to cover the entire length of bread. If you want you can skip two layers of cheese and just do 1. It’s up to you.
- Now place the other slice on top and close the sandwich. Using a butter knife, generously spread butter (preferably use Amul butter) on top of the bread facing the top. Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Place the sandwich on the skillet with the buttered side placed down. Now, also butter the other side, the one that’s facing the top now. Press with a spatula and cook until both the sides turn golden brown in color and the cheese melts. Remove the sandwich from the skillet. Cut into half and serve with chutney, ketchup. Make and toast the remaining sandwiches similarly