Eggless Cake Rusk made with basic pantry ingredients make the perfect crispy chai time treat! They are great to dunk in your coffee too! Crunchy & buttery, these eggless Cake Rusk and chai are a match made in heaven.
- ▢1 cup all purpose flour 130 grams
- ▢1.25 teaspoon baking powder
- ▢1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ▢ pinch salt
- ▢1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ▢1/2 cup granulated white sugar 100 grams, can reduce for less sweetness
- ▢1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ▢1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- ▢1/2 cup plain yogurt 120 grams
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment of your stand mixer, or using your hand mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Then add the sugar and mix until well combined. Add in the vanilla extract, cardamom powder and mix.
- Then add in the whisked yogurt and mix. Mixture might look like it has curdled but that’s okay, don’t worry about it.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix until well combined, for around 1 minute or so. The batter is now done, this is a very thick batter. Spray a 8-inch square pan with non-stick spray and transfer the batter into it. Since the batter is thick, you would need a spatula or knife to spread the batter into the pan
- Bake at 325 F degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. Take the cake out of the oven, let it sit for 5 minutes and then remove from the pan onto a wire rack. Let the cake cool for around 15 minutes. Meanwhile, reduce the oven temperature to 300 F degrees (or 275 F degrees if your oven runs hot).
- Once the cake has cooled for 15 minutes, cut the cake into two and then cut into slices, around 1 inch wide. You can cut either way, either length-wise and then divide each into 2 or width wise. You will get around 15-16 rusks.
- Now arrange the cake slices on the pan with the white side of the cake rusks facing down (not the brown side). Don’t use any parchment paper here. Bake at 300 F for 25-30 minutes (check color at 20 minutes mark), take out of the oven, flip and bake the other white side for another 25-30 minutes.
- When done, the color of the white part (on both sides) should completely change to dark brown (but not burn). It’s important to keep a check on the color. Check at around 20 minutes, every oven is different and your might get done quickly. Let the rusks cool completely, they will harden as they cool. And then store in an air-tight container. Enjoy these eggless cake rusk with chai or coffee