15 May, 2021
Thengai Payasam ( coconut Kheer)
Thengai Payasam is a coconut-based dish that is quite popular during South Indian festivals. It is a perfect dessert for the auspicious occasion of Puthandu, which is the Tamil New Year. Made with rice, milk, water, jaggery, coconut and roasted cashews, this tempting dessert can be prepared in just 30 minutes. You can replace the amount of water used in the dish with milk to give it more richness. Add some more nuts of your choice to give an added flavor. You can also add cardamom powder and soaked saffron to give the recipe your own personal twist.
- 4 tablespoon rice
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon roasted cashews
How to make Thengai Payasam
- Step 1. Soak and grind the rice. Firstly soak rice in water for an hour. Now strain it and mix it with coconut. Add 1/4 cup water and grind to form a coarse paste.
- Step 2.Heat a pan. Put a pan on medium heat and add 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of milk to it. Bring it to a boil and the rice paste in it. Stir occasionally and cook on a medium flame for at least 15 minutes.
- Step 3. Melt jaggery. Now, heat 1/4 cup water in a separate pan and add jaggery in it. Mix well to melt it completely.
- Step 4. Mix jaggery with rice. Now add the jaggery paste to the cooked rice mixture and mix. Lastly, add roasted cashews and your dish is ready to be served.