16 May, 2021
Cold rice salad
- 2 cups red rice cooked brown or
- 1 mango medium green grated
- 1 cup mango diced ripe *
- 1/2 cup coconut shredded
- 1 cup spinach sliced leaves
- 1/2 cup peanuts coarsely crushed roasted
- 1 tsp salt
dressing / tempering
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 1 tsp green chillies finely chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 lemons juiced small (or 4 tbsps lemon juice)
- To prepare the cold rice salad, fluff up the cooked rice using a fork and add to a large bowl along with the ripe and raw mango, coconut and spinach leaves.
In a small pan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chillies, curry leaves. Once the mustard seeds pop and the urad dal turns golden, remove from flame. Add the lemon juice and salt, whisk well with a fork and pour over the salad in the bowl.
Toss the salad well. Add the coarsely crushed peanuts, mix, cover with cling film and chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
If you don’t have access to ripe mangoes, use pomegranate arils instead, for color and sweetness.