Like today I wasn’t sure what to make. If you ask your family members – ‘Kya banana hai, they would say kuch bhi chalega’
Thats when I opened my fridge, I saw spinach ( Palak) and dal was already there. So decided to make this recipe for dinner. Dal Palak or Spinach Dal is a simple everyday Dal which is loaded with the goodness of both, Protein and Iron. It is a favorite combination in my family and the tadka of garlic makes it even more delicious.
Here it goes :
- ▢½ cup Toordal or yellow moong dal
- ▢3 cups Water
- ▢1 cup Spinach / Palak (Chopped)
- ▢Salt to taste
- ▢½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ▢1 tbsp Lemon juice
- ▢2 tbsp Ghee ( actually tastes good when you give tadka with ghee. If you dont like ghee , you can use oil)
- ▢1 tsp Ginger (Chopped)
- ▢6-8 cloves Garlic (Smashed)
- ▢2-3 Dry red chilies
- ▢1 Green chilli (Split into half)
- ▢½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ▢¼ tsp Hing
- ▢½ tsp Red chilli powder
- ▢1 tbsp Fresh coriander (Chopped)
- Wash the dal and put it in a pressure pan.
- Add 3 cups of water, chopped spinach, salt and turmeric powder.
- Pressure cook till done.
- If you don’t have a pressure cooker, cook it covered on medium heat till done.
- Add lemon juice in cooked dal.
- Transfer the dal in the serving bowl.
- Heat ghee in a small pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add ginger, garlic, dry red chilies and green chilli.
- Fry till garlic is slightly browned.
- Add cumin seeds and heeng.
- Switch off the heat.
- Add red chili powder and immediately pour the ghee over the cooked dal.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or phulka.
Step by Step Recipe
Wash the dal and put it in a pressure pan. Add 3 cups of water, chopped spinach, salt, and turmeric powder.
Pressure cook till done. I cooked it for 1 whistle on high heat, then lowered the heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes. Add lemon juice in cooked dal.
Heat ghee in a small pan. When the ghee is hot, add ginger, garlic, dry red chilies and green chilli. Fry till garlic is slightly browned. Add cumin seeds and heeng. Switch off the heat.
Add red chilli powder.
Immediately pour the ghee over the cooked dal.
Finally your dal Palak is ready to serve with rice or phulkas