31 May, 2021
French Onion Tarts
Looking for a fancy dish to treat your loved ones? Do try this French Onion Tart which requires only a few ingredients and can even fail the Pizza sometimes. This mouth-watering treat is made of crusty pastry made of all-purpose flour, which is topped with sweet onion slices, herbs and gruyere cheese and then baked for 30-40 minutes. It is a delicious dish that you can include for any party. Just because it has ‘French’ added to it, doesn’t mean that this recipe is meant for cooking maestros. You can make this French Onion Tart, even if you are new to baking. If you want to serve something unique at your next get together, just follow this tart recipe and wait for the compliments to flow in! It’s true that when we think about party dishes, onion does not really come to mind as it smells bad afterwards. But that was before this onion tart, which will definitely be one of the first dishes to disappear at your next party. What makes this French onion tart recipe special is that making it requires minimal effort. People can enjoy the occasion without having to balance a plate into their hands. You are also relieved as you don’t have to clean up tons of plates afterwards. You can relish this french onion tart as an evening snack as well. You can enjoy this tart recipe with your favourite drink
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chilled water
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon minced thyme
- 3 gm sliced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup frozen butter
- salt as required
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 teaspoon chives
- 2 tablespoon butter
How to make French Onion Tart
- Step 1. Prepare the dough for the tart. To prepare this amazing tart, add the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse for a few seconds until well combined. Then add cold/or frozen butter and pulse 10 to 12 times to ensure the butter breaks to very small bits. Then while keeping the mixer running, add the ice water until the dough starts to form.
- Step 2. Cover the dough with cling film and keep inside refrigerator for an hour. Transfer to a floured surface and knead the dough into a smooth ball. Cover with a cling film and store in the fridge for one hour. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Step 3. Roll the dough after an an hour. Take the dough out of the fridge and put in between 2 floured sheets of wax paper. Roll it using a little flour in 10×14 inches size. Next, place it on the prepared baking tray and store in the fridge while you prepare the cheese and onion.
- Step 4. Top the rolled dough with. Arrange this rolled dough in a tart pan or ring, and start spreading the shredded cheese up until the edges. Then, sprinkle the minced thyme. Arrange the half-moon onions diagonally on the dough and then the finely chopped chives. Make sure that the onion should barely overlap. Brush with heavy cream and dot the onions with normal butter. Sprinkle salt to taste evenly over it.
- Step 5. Bake the French Onion Tart for 30-40 minutes or until golden in color. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes until the tart obtains a beautiful golden color. Let it rest and cut into desired shapes before serving. Squares are the most convenient shapes for this tart.