Palak Paneer Bhurji is a healthy and delicious Indian dish made with spinach and scrambled paneer (Indian cottage cheese). This flavorful dish is very easy to cook and can be prepared in just a few minutes.
To make this dish, finely chopped fresh palak (spinach) and freshly grated or crumbled paneer is cooked along with onions, tomatoes and a mild dose of Indian spices.
This dish tastes best when using homemade paneer, since it crumbles very easily. However, it can also be prepared using store bought paneer and grating it. Also this recipe calls for finely chopped spinach, and the spinach leaves should not be blended into a puree.
Ingredients For Palak Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- 50gm Spinach Leaves (Palak)
- 200gm Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese)
- 1 Small Onion
- 2 Medium Sized Tomatoes
- 1-2 Green Chillies
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- ~1 Inch Piece of Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon garam masala
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Oil
Step By Step Instructions With Photos for Palak Paneer Bhurji Recipe
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds (jeera) in it. Roast the cumin seeds for a few seconds.
- When the cumin seeds start crackling, add some finely chopped onions, finely chopped green chillies, minced ginger & garlic.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes on medium heat till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes to the pan.
- Stir occasionally and cook for 4-5 minutes till the tomatoes become soft.
- Add turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the pan.
- Stir to mix and roast the spices for a couple of minutes.
- Add chopped spinach leaves to the pan.
- Mix well with the masala and let it cook. The leaves will start leaving water.
- Cook till the water is dried up and the spinach leaves are cooked.
- Add crumbled or grated paneer to the pan.
- Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes. In the end, sprinkle some lemon juice on top and mix again.
- Palak Paneer Bhurji is ready. Serve it hot with roti, naan or rice.