10 June, 2021
Caramelized carrots & onions – Diabetes
Posted in : Diabetes on by : Simmi Iyer
The perfect caramelized carrots to accompany any roast – try them alongside your Christmas turkey
- 500g carrot, peeled and cut into long chunks
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 red onions , peeled and quartered with root intact
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar
- STEP 1. Blanch carrots in a pan of boiling salted water for 3 mins, drain well, then pat dry. In a large pan, melt the butter and oil, then fry the carrots, onions and thyme over a low heat for 30 mins until golden.
- STEP 2. Stir in the sugar and red wine and bubble for a few mins to boil off the alcohol. Add the vinegar, then continue to cook until syrupy, about 5 mins. Remove the sprigs of thyme and serve. Make up to 2 days ahead, stored in a covered container. Tip back into a pan and reheat or use a microwave.