14 June, 2021
Posted in : Rice on by : Simmi Iyer
This fragrant spiced rice from a famous restaurant, is a little more celebratory than standard white rice and is elevated by using great-quality basmati, you can eat this rice with some crab curry
- basmati rice 200g
- ghee or butter 1 tbsp
- cinnamon 1 stick
- green cardamom pods 2
- cloves 3
- pandan leaf 7½cm piece, or 3 dried pandan leaves
- ground turmeric ¼ tsp
- crispy fried shallots, fried curry leaves, sultanas or roasted cashews to garnish
- STEP 1. Wash the rice under cold running water until the water runs almost clear. Tip into a medium pan, cover with fresh water and soak for at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour. Drain well.
- STEP 2. Heat a heavy-based pan over medium heat. Add the ghee or butter, followed by the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the rice, pandan leaf, turmeric and 1/2 tsp of salt. Stir gently, being careful not to break the rice grains.
- STEP 3. Add 350ml of cold water and turn up the heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until the water reaches the level of the rice. Cover, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 15 minutes without removing the lid.
- STEP 4. Turn off the heat and leave the pot covered for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice gently with a fork. Garnish with fried shallots or curry leaves, sultanas or roasted cashews, and serve.