17 June, 2021
MASALA MATHRI: SPICED FRIED COOKIES
Each year, during the week before Diwali, my kitchen automatically gets converted into a mini snack shop – producing quantities of savories large enough to feed my entire neighborhood.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp kasuri methi
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup light cooking oil
- water as needed
- oil for deep frying
- Mix flour, spices, salt and a 1/4 cup of oil with enough water to make a smooth firm dough. Let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat enough oil in a deep wok or pan for deep frying.
- Divide the dough into fist-sized balls, and each ball of dough, roll it out into a circle of about 0.5 cm thickness and prick all over with a fork to prevent the cookies from puffing up while frying.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the rolled out dough into circles about 5cms in diameter.
- Fry the cut out cookies in hot oil till they turn golden brown and crisp on both sides. Remove on a paper towel to drain excess oil, allow to cool, and enjoy!
These cookies can be stored in an air-tight container for about 2-3 weeks. That is if you can resist them that long!