A classic creamy sweet pudding made with rice, milk, almonds, cardamom and a layer of pistas. Flavored with rose essence and minus the sugar, this recipe is just the right kick when you’re craving something sweet. Phirni is a simple rice pudding which is made by boiling the milk slowly. This recipe has two layers – a pista layer and one flavored with rose essence.
Ingredients Of Two-In-One Phirni (Sugar Free)
- 5 Cups skimmed milk
- 60 gms rice (soaked in hot water for 30 minutes)
- 6 crushed chhoti elaichi (seeds only)
- 3/4 cup artificial sweetener
- 2 tbsp pista (ground to paste), blanched
- to taste green colour
- 1/4 tsp rose essence
- 10 almonds (shredded), blanched
- Vark (silver leaf, optional)
How to Make Two-In-One Phirni (Sugar Free)
- 1. Drain the rice and place in a blender, with a little bit of the milk and blend fine.
- 2. Bring the milk to a boil, in a heavy- bottomed sauce pan. Add the ground rice and bring it to boil again.
- 3. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring all the time, till the whole thing becomes one well blended mass. Takes about 20-25 minutes (to test, you can drop a spoon full, let it cool and check to see if it sets ).
- 4. Shut off the heat, and add the cardamom and sweetener.
- 5. Divide the phirni into two and add the pista paste to one portion and the rose essence to the other half.
- 6. Pour the white phirni into the serving bowl and refrigerate to set (you can keep the dish in the freezer compartment for a short while to speed up the setting of it), leaving the other half at room temperature.
- 7. When the white portion is set, pour the green portion over it, cover with the vark, garnish with the almonds and refrigerate it to set. Serve chilled.