Vegan Cuban Bowls are a delicious mix of sweet potato, plantain, black beans, brown rice, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, tomato and avocado!
FOR THE PICO DE GALLO
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion+8
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
FOR THE VEGAN CUBAN BOWLS
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 cups sweet potato (cubed red sweet potato)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large ripe plantain
- 1 14.5 ounce can low sodium black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Lime wedges
- Combine the tomatoes, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Toss well and set aside to let the flavors come together.
- Peel the plantain by drawing a sharp knife along the long ridges down the sides (there should be three or four), then peeling off each side of the peel in sections. Slice the plantain crosswise on an angle into coins.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the cubed sweet potato as well as the cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss well, then turn the heat down to medium. Saute until golden brown and fork-tender; 5-7 minutes. Transfer the cooked sweet potato to a bowl; tent with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan and allow it to melt. Fry the plantain pieces until golden, about 1 or 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to drain.
- Warm the black beans in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat (or by microwave in a covered bowl).
- Assemble the bowls by dividing all of the ingredients equally between the two bowls in the following order: brown rice, black beans, sweet potatoes, plantains, avocado, and pico de gallo. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing.