7 July, 2021
A famous Nawabi recipe from Lucknow passed down through generations. It derives its name from the city of Kakori on the outskirts of Lucknow. It is made with the finest meat of the lamb and a few spices. These kebabs are soft and tender, served best with coriander chutney. These melt in your mouth kebabs are a great dinner party option. Minced lamb or mutton grilled with a range of Indian seasoning and flavours. It derived its name from the city of Kakori on the outskirts of Lucknow. It is a very well-known Lucknow cuisine.
Ingredients Of Kakori Kebab
- Oven temp: 425F-220 C
- 2 cups mutton/lamb (minced)
- 1 tsp ginger- garlic paste
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, powdered
- 2 tbsp green coriander, chopped
- to taste green chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsp raw papaya, chopped
- 4 Cloves
- 1 Black cardamom seeds
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon, powdered
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Black mace
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg, grated
- 2 cups onions (browned crisp in 1/2 cup ghee), sliced
- 1/4 cup bhuna chana, powdered
- 1 Egg
- Ghee for brushing some chaat masala
- for garnishing onion rings and lemon wedges
How to Make Kakori Kebab
- 1.Mix all ingredients except ghee and garnishes to marinate for about 4 hours, then grind to form a smooth, thick paste.
- 2.Knead this mixture well and mix in the roasted gram and the egg.
- 3.Cover and refrigerate for another hour.
- 4.About 25 minutes before serving, shape the meat around the skewers and place the kebabs on to a grill over a drip tray, or in a pre-heated oven (also on a drip tray).
- 5.If cooking them over a charcoal grill, you will have to keep rotating them so that they brown and cook evenly.
- 6.They should take 15-20 minutes to cook.
- 7.Brush with ghee and cook another 2 minutes.
- 8.Serve garnished with chaat masala onions and the lemon and serve with green chutney.