9 July, 2021
Chicken Tikka Sandwich Filler
Chicken tikka sandwich filler. C’mon, we’ve all been there at least once. I’ve had a few good ones in my time, but far too many bad ones. As such, I thought it was time to recreate the classic and show you how easy it is to make at home
Ingredients (check list):
- ▢2 large Chicken Breasts, brought close to room temp (approx 9oz/250g per breast)
- ▢2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- ▢3 tsp Garam Masala
- ▢2 tsp Chilli Powder
- ▢1.5 tsp EACH: Cumin, Paprika, Turmeric
- ▢1 tsp Ground Coriander
- ▢1/2 tsp Salt
- ▢1/2 cup / 120g Plain Unsweetened Yogurt
- ▢1/2 cup / 120g Full Fat Mayo
- ▢1/2 Red Pepper, very finely diced
- ▢1/2 Lemon, juice only
- ▢1 Banana Shallot, very finely diced (or 2 small shallots)
- ▢1 clove of Garlic, minced
- ▢1 tbsp finely diced Coriander/Cilantro (or to preference)
- ▢1 tbsp Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste in US)
- ▢1/2 tsp Sugar
- ▢Salt & Pepper, to taste
To Serve (optional)
- ▢Bread (sandwich) or
- ▢Baked Potato or Smashed Potato
- Firstly, I highly recommend making this in advance to develop the flavours.
- In a small pot combine 3 tsp garam masala, 2 tsp chilli powder, 1.5 tsp cumin, paprika & turmeric, 1 tsp ground coriander and 1/2 tsp salt. Place to one side.
- Butterfly your breasts right through to make 4 even sized breasts. Coat in 2 tbsp veg oil and HALF your spice mix (save other half for later).
- Heat up a large pan over high heat and fry your chicken breasts until nicely charred on each side and hot through the centre (some char = authentic flavor). Place to one side to rest, scraping out any little bits of char/chicken as well. Important to rest for the chicken to retain moisture and completely cool. Once cool, dice into tiny cubes.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine 1/2cup/120g yogurt and mayo, 1 tbsp tomato puree and finely diced coriander/cilantro, 1 finely diced shallot, red pepper, garlic, the juice of half a lemon, the rest of your spice mix and 1/2 tsp sugar.
- Stir in diced chicken then season to taste. Cover in cling film and rest in the fridge until needed, then serve as a sandwich, in a pita/wrap or on a baked potato!