This roasted beet, quinoa, and carrot salad is packed with healthy and good-for-you ingredients! It’s super flavorful and has the best lemon dressing!
Once you’ve gotten HOOKED on this salad, be sure to try these again and again
- ▢1 pound medium beets
- ▢1/2 pound medium carrots
- ▢3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- ▢Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- ▢4 ounces mixed greens lettuce
- ▢1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- ▢1/3 honey roasted sliced almonds
- ▢1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- ▢4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ▢1 and ½ tablespoons Dijon mustard, do not use regular mustard
- ▢1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ▢1 teaspoon dried basil
- ▢1 clove garlic minced
- ▢1/2 cup olive oil
- ▢1 large lemon 3 tablespoons juice
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Peel the beets and cut them into 1-inch wedges. In a bowl, toss the beets with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in one half of a large tray. Add carrots, toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss and place in oven for 30-35 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve to remove the bitter coating. In a small saucepan, combine quinoa with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover the pan with a lid.
- Turn heat all the way to the lowest setting and cook covered for 15 minutes or until the water has completely absorbed in the quinoa.
- Turn off the heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff the quinoa gently with a fork. Set aside.
- Toss the cooked and mostly cooled quinoa and mixed greens in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, prep the dressing. Whisk the red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, dried oregano, dried basil, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste), and ¼ teaspoon pepper (or to taste) together in a small bowl. Slowly add in the olive oil into the vinegar mixture while whisking briskly. Whisk in the lemon juice. Pour into a jar and store in the fridge while you finish the salad.
- Add roasted beets and carrots to quinoa and lettuce. Add goat cheese and almonds.
- Toss the salad with desired amount of dressing (you might have some leftover depending on how dressed you liked your salads!) Enjoy immediately.
- Do not dress anything you don’t intend to eat that day. This salad is best eaten immediately after being dressed, so if you want leftovers, only toss what you will eat with the dressing.