Vegan carrot halwa recipe With step by step photos. This vegan carrot halwa is a classic Indian carrot pudding made with grated carrots, almond milk, sugar and dry fruits.
- ▢2.5 cups grated carrots
- ▢2.5 cups almond milk
- ▢8 tablespoons regular sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar – add more or less as required
- ▢¼ or ⅓ cup almond paste (optional)
- ▢5 to 6 green cardamom – powdered or crushed
- ▢8 to 10 unsalted whole or chopped cashews
- ▢7 to 8 unsalted pistachois – sliced or chopped
- ▢12 to 15 golden raisins
- ▢a pinch of saffron – optional
- ▢2 to 2.5 tablespoons neutral flavored oil or sunflower oil
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots.
- Mix the almond milk and grated carrot together in a pan.
- Keep on fire and allow the mixture to simmer.
- Continue to simmer and cook stirring in between.
- After 15-20 minutes add cardamom powder and stir.
- When the mixture has started thickening, add sugar & oil.
- Stir and continue to cook.
- When the mixture has almost dried, add the almond paste and dry fruits.
- Stir and cook further for 2-3 minutes. Serve vegan carrot halwa hot or warm.
- It can be also refrigerated and served cold. This vegan carrot halwa stays good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to make vegan carrot halwa with almond milk
1: first is the tedious job of grating carrots. Use a food processor for quick results.
2: mix the almond milk and carrots together in a pan or kadai/wok.
3: put the pan on fire and bring the whole carrot – almond mixture to a gentle boil on a low or medium flame. Better to cook on a low or medium flame as slow cooking gives a better taste and the mixture does not have less chances to stick to the pan. Use a heavy based non reactive pan or a non stick pan or a wok to make the halwa.
4: then simmer and let the carrots-milk mixture cook further. This whole process of cooking the carrots in the milk, takes about 35-45 minutes or more on a low flame. After 12 minutes this is how the mixture appears.
5: once the carrots are half cooked ie. After overall after 18 minutes add the cardamom powder & stir.
6: continue to stir in between. After 3-4 minutes, add the oil and sugar.
7: stir and let the mixture thicken. Continue to cook. after 5 minutes…
8: when the liquids in the mixture have almost dried, add raisins, cashews, saffron and almond paste.
9: stir and cook for 2-3 minutes till the moisture dries up. Serve the vegan carrot halwa hot or warm. you can have this vegan carrot halwa cold too. If stored in a refrigerator then this vegan carrot pudding stays good for 3-4 days.