17 August, 2021
Chettinad Style Prawn Biryani Recipe
Chettinad Style Prawn Biryani Recipe is a South Indian version that is cooked with assorted spices and given the authentic Chettinad flavors by a wide usage of shallots, black pepper and coconut. Chettinad of cooking is an integral part of South Indian Cuisine, the rustic flavors of South India brings and amazing texture, flavor, and aroma to the food preparations. Chettinad spices are used both in vegetarian and nonvegetarian cooking and leave an equal impact on both versions. Typically served with raita, Chettinad style Prawn Biryani is a complete and a wholesome meal in itself.
- 200 grams Shrimps , or prawns
- 1-1/2 cups Basmati rice
- 4-5 Shallots
- 1 tablespoon Ginger , paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , paste
- 3 tablespoons Fresh coconut , grated
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilli , paste
- 1/2 cup Hung Curd (Greek Yogurt)
- 2 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 cup Oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 5-6 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 4 Cardamom (Elaichi) Pods/Seeds
- 2 Black cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- 2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
- 2-3 Dry Red Chilli
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin seeds (Jeera)
How to make Chettinad Style Prawn Biryani Recipe
- To prepare Chettinad Style Prawn Biryani Recipe, wash and clean prawns well, collect in a bowl and add ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric, few drops of lemon juice and 2-3 pinch salt. Mix well and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash and soak rice in water for a minimum 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat oil in a large and thick bottom handi and add the whole spices and wait till they splutter.
- Now add shallots and saute them till they are pale in color.
- Add green chili paste, grated coconut and marinated prawns and mix well.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes and then slowly add curd and carefully mix everything to avoid breaking the prawns.
- Keep the flames high and let the water from curd dry up completely.
- Season with coriander powder, garam masala powder and salt. Fry till it is cooked and deeper in color.
- Now add the soaked rice and again stir well such that everything incorporates well with each other.
- Add warm water (double the quantity of rice), check salt and add a dollop of ghee and mix well.
- Allow the rice to come to a boil, close the lid and let the rice cook at low heat.
- Keep the lid covered till the rice is done. Gently mix the rice and collect in a serving bowl.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and chopped curry leaves.
- Serve the Chettinad Style Prawn Biryani hot with raita for a wholesome meal.