You can make this oatmeal, which will take on a purple hue once the blueberries begin to burst, on top of the stove or in the microwave. It only takes about 10 minutes on top of the stove (five minutes in the microwave).
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons mild honey
- ⅔ cup rolled oats or oatmeal
- ⅓ cup blueberries
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped or grated orange zest
- ½ cup low-fat milk, soy milk, almond beverage or rice beverage
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the salt, cinnamon, honey and oatmeal. Reduce the heat, and simmer uncovered for five minutes or until most of the water has been absorbed. Add the blueberries, orange zest and milk (or alternate beverage). Bring to a simmer, and simmer five more minutes or until the oatmeal is thick and creamy and the blueberries have begun to pop. Cover and let stand for five minutes, then serve.