Indian Style Tofu scramble known as Tofu bhurji is a very tasty and quick vegetarian dish inspired by egg bhurji recipe and prepared using crumbled tofu, onion, tomato, bell pepper and spices.
Tofu bhurji recipe is an Indian Style Tofu Scramble that is a very tasty and quick vegetarian dish inspired by egg bhurji. Vegan, Gluten-free, and Keto Friendly dish
Tips & Variations for Tofu Scramble
- For best results use extra firm or firm tofu. The texture of the recipe will be exactly the same as paneer bhurji.
- Moreover, if you have leftover bhurji, you can use as a filling for stuffed paratha, puff pastry, sandwich
- Leftovers will store well in the fridge for two days.
- You can also add shredded broccoli and some greens like spinach or kale.
- If you a not Vegan, follow the same recipe by replacing Tofu with cottage cheese/paneer or a mix of both.
- Replace pav bhaji masala with garam masala to give it a twist.
How to make Tofu Bhurji
Firstly, press tofu with some heavy object for 15-20 minutes. This will drain the excess moisture. Crumble the tofu gently with your fingers and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
Next add the ginger, green chilies and saute for a minute.
Then add the onions. Saute for 2-3 minutes till they are soft and transparent.
Add the finely chopped tomatoes and green bell pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
Next add dry spices like turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, and garam masala. Mix everything well.
Then add the crumbled tofu and combine well. Cook covered on medium-low heat for 1-2 minutes.
Lastly, add lime juice and garnish Tofu bhurji Indian style with coriander leaves and switch off the flame.